The granddaddy of all gay ski weeks is turning 35 in 2012. They are planning a full roster of events, as usual, but also plenty more activities to celebrate this noteworthy milestone. From the organizers:
“With the theme, ‘Through the Years,’ this year’s gay ski week will embrace our beginnings thirty-five years ago in 1977,” remarked Bryan Gonzales, co-producer of Aspen Gay Ski Week and program director of Roaring Fork Gay and Lesbian Community Fund. “World-famous Aspen plays host to a week of epic skiing, après ski events at the Limelight Lodge, exciting nightly events and the popular downhill costume competition.”
Aspen Gay Ski Week showcases nightly events, including the following:
- Sunday: Opening Party at Baldwin Gallery. Kick the week off in style at this two-story gallery in downtown Aspen. Catered by the famous Caribou Club, the party will be all inclusive of food and drink.
- Monday: Monday Late Night at Hunter Bar, where the staff creates a retro party for guests.
- Tuesday: Tuesday Late Night at Escobar, the underground bar that resembles an airplane cabin.
- Wednesday: Aspen is home to world-class shopping, and for the annual Boutique Night Stroll, participating boutiques will be open late. Wednesday Late Night will be hosted by Aspen’s premier private night club, The Caribou Club.
- Thursday: At Belly Up, the Demented Divas star in “UNCUT: Letting It All Hang Out,” a comedy show starring Nuclia Waste, Portia Potty, Iona Trailer and Gabrellia Butz’In. After the show, a DJ takes the stage, and attendees can dance the night away.
- Friday: The historic Hotel Jerome will host the “Wild West Bordello Party.”
- Saturday: Aspen Recreation Center will once again hosts the infamous pool party, featuring DJs, dancing, hot tubs, water slides, a lazy river and open bars.
To learn more about Aspen Gay Ski Week and to purchase event passes, www.gayskiweek.com.
PS. Non-skiers have a lot of fun here, too.